Mapserver and IPTC Standard

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Sep 6 12:20:52 EDT 2006

Till Adams wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> Does anybody have an idea, if mapserver is able to write metadata-fields
> (ideally after the IPTC Standard)
> in the header of the generated images??
>
> Thanks in advance and looking forward meeting many people from this list
> in Lausanne next week!

Till,

MapServer makes no use of metadata in TIFF datasets.  Nor does it
provide any mechanism to write metadata when returning results in TIFF
format.

GDAL does support capturing some special fields as metadata, and can write
them back to these tags, as well as create a general GDAL metadata tag to
hold anything else.  However, GDAL has no support for reading or writing
IPTC tags.  I gather from recent discussions on the libtiff mailing list
that IPTC isn't even that easy to work with within libtiff.

So, basically, if you want IPTC expect to have to do/fund some development.
For any metadata access you will likely need to do some custom mapscript
with calls to GDAL bindings for metadata access.

Best regards,