ASCII and Shapefile

Greg Luker gluker at SCU.EDU.AU
Fri Sep 8 00:24:58 EDT 2006

Hi Ryan,

Ryan said:

> *Is there a way to go from an ASCII file to a Shapefile?  I have a file
> that contains a list of lat/long coordinates and there values at each
> point,  and i know what the projection will, be so is there a way to
> create a shapefile from and ASCII file if the projection is known?

If you have ArcGIS9.x:
Open the ASCII file in MS Excel, save it as a .csv, start ArcCatalog, Create
Feature Class from XY Table.

If you have ArcView 3.x:
Open the ASCII file in MS Excel, save it as a .csv, start ArcView, Add
Table, Create Event Theme.

I'm sure there are also other ways - maybe ogr?

Thanks,
Greg.