Points to Raster

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 8 18:08:17 EDT 2006

On Friday 08 September 2006 10:24, Ryan Ollerenshaw wrote:
> I have a of a bunch of lat/long coordinates with corresponding values, i
> would like to display this data as a raster with the color interpreted
> in between the points, just like using the Kriging tool in ArcMap.  Does
> anyone know of a way to do this or at lest get me pointed the in right
> direction.

Some thoughts:

convert the text file into a spatial data format via ogr2ogr and the VRT
approach to accessing this text file, process accordingly.

install GRASS, and import the text file with the command v.in.ascii,
interpolate with the method of your choice, save result as tiff, display in
mapserver.

ask around on the GDAL / GRASS mailing lists if you need help.

simple example here:
http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/55

--
Dylan Beaudette