New GiS for History site

Ben Loh benpub at INQUIRIUM.NET
Tue Sep 12 17:16:09 EDT 2006

>>P Kishor wrote:
>>We definitely have not optimized our connection yet, but at
>>least in the midwest US and western US, I've generally been able to
>>get responses around 3 seconds or less.  On the other hand, we also
>>occasionally get really long hangs.
>
>Nothing but the hangs here.

D'oh!

>>I think it's because mapserver
>>is taking so long to generate the overly complex maps, but this is
>>our next big challenge.
>
>Do you really need any overly complex map when just showing the
>overview? The very first view, that of the entire country, need not be
>very complex. You should make liberal and judicious use of MAXSCALE
>(or whatever the syntax is... have forgotten most of .map files),
>querying and drawing complex geometries only when zoomed in.

Yes, very true.  We're hoping to get simplified shape files from
another source soon.  My admittedly shaky understanding is that the
technique here is to swap between the complex and the simple shape
files based on the scale, yes?  Or is there actually a way to have
mapserver simplify the shape file on the fly?

Regards,

Ben

--
b e n  l o h . . . i n q u i r i u m
. design for learning .           mobile  773-220-8889 (primary line)