TIF vs JPG - Performance

Léveillé, James James.Leveille at MTQ.GOUV.QC.CA
Tue Sep 19 14:40:34 EDT 2006

Hi,

I've been using MapServer for a while (Oracle 10g, MapInfo, Shape Files,
etc.) - everything works great !

For the first time, we want to use raster data - over 6000 orthophotos.
All the orthophotos are available both in TIF and JPG.
Every orthophoto if about 80 Mb in TIF (includes multi-res) and about 4Mb in
JPG.

2 Questions :

- Is there a concept of multi-res in the JPG format (as in TIFF) ?
- Which format should I use to acquire the best performance from MapServer
???

Thanks a lot.
Regards.

James Léveillé