Mapfile and shape

Pietro Giannini pgiannini at BYTEWISE.IT
Thu Apr 5 10:02:45 EDT 2007

Hi Giacomo,

> is possibile to force Mapserver

(through Mapfile) to read informations about color and patterns from
> DBF file?

Directly, for the moment I think no.
Take
a look to
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/layer/?searchterm=styleitem
you can find the layer's property STYLEITEM, experimental and OGR only,
wich is the name of the field containing style info's. No info about the
format, etc.

Look also to how-to
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/vector_data/mapinfo/?searchterm=styleitem
is an how-to to read mapinfo files.
With STYLEITEM=AUTO in the
layer you can preserve the style information of the mapinfo layer.

You can of course define in the layer a number of classes equal to
the number of styles you want, each class with its STYLE, and in the class
EXPRESSION (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/msexpressions) you can
define the  value of the field (defined in CLASSITEM property) for
style definition of single feature.
e.g. :
if you have a .shp of
buildings and use of each building is defined in the field 'TYPE' with the
keywords 'PUBLIC', 'PRIVATE', 'AIRPORT'... your layer in the .map file can
appear like:
#
LAYER
    NAME edifici
    DATA edifici
    TYPE POLYGON
    CLASSITEM 'TYPE'
    CLASS

        EXPRESSION 'PUBLIC'

        STYLE

        COLOR  223 184 230

            OUTLINECOLOR 80 80 80

        END # of style

END # of class
     CLASS

    EXPRESSION 'PRIVATE'

STYLE
             COLOR  199
141 235
             OUTLINECOLOR
80 80 80
         END # of style

    END # of class
     CLASS

        EXPRESSION 'AIRPORT'

        STYLE

        COLOR  172 102 237

            OUTLINECOLOR 80 80 80

        END # of style

END # of class
     CLASS

    END # of class
  END #of
layer
#

ciao
Pietro

--
Pietro
Giannini

On Gio, 5 Aprile 2007 11:52
am, Giacomo Sacchetti wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I've
posted a 	question two weeks ago, but I haven't received any

response. So, I'll try to explain better my situation.
> I've
"converted" a DWG file in several SHP file. Every layer of
the
> DWG is "well formed": this means that every layer
have only one type
> of entity (points, lines, ...). I've created
a tool for this type of
> convertions.
> My problem is to
assign pattern and color to the shape files.
> I've thinked to
insert informations about color and pattern in the DBF

associated to every SHP files: is possibile to force Mapserver