Streets and streets' labels drawing performance

Rodrigo Del C. Andrade rodrigo.andrade at DIGITRO.COM.BR
Thu Apr 5 17:05:20 EDT 2007

    Hello dear list.
    Quick and (hopefully) simple question:

    What are the big mapscript no-no's for the performance conscious coder?
    I'll explain. I am working on a java mapscript application that only
show cities and streets. Using maxscale to draw the cities streets only
at certain zoom lvls and the street labels even closer.
    But the performance is a huge problem when it tries to render the
streets and the accompanying labels. And I mean it, the server bends and
stays on its knees for minutes while I wait for the map to show. I've
banished antialising from the code, caching and all the bells and
whistles, but the performance is still atrocious. Whats more strange,
some areas of the map (it is composed of several shapefiles defined in
its own layer and mapfile, included into the main mapfile) have
acceptable performance, so could something in the shapefiles being
slowing render draw? They all come from the same source and seem to have
the same structure, so what could I look for in them that would hamper
its drawing speed?

    Any help is hugely appreciated.
    Thanks

--

*Rodrigo Del C. Andrade   *
/Estagiário Nível Superior/

*DÍGITRO TECNOLOGIA*
*E-mail:* rodrigo.andrade at digitro.com.br
<mailto:rodrigo.andrade at digitro.com.br>
*Fone:* +55 48 3281-7314 / +55 48 3281-7000
*Fax:* +55 48 3281-7299
*Site:* www.digitro.com <http://www.digitro.com>