ArcSDE, FastCGI+IIS

Mike Saunt mikesaunt at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 10 07:04:28 EDT 2007

Hi Shannon

You've caught me out here as I hadn't finished the documentation as in the
end we didn't use direct access to ArcSDE!

The problem was with the FastCGI dropping out quite alot and therefore the
CGI execution would fail intermitently.  The other problems was also to do
with licensing for ArcSDE (i.e. ArcSDE client access libary costs) and also
the fact that upgrades to ArcSDE aren't always instantaneous i.e. can take
the whole internet mapping down whilst the DB is ugraded over a few days.

In the end we implemented some caching with OGR tools to basically download
at regular intervals (every 15 minutes via Windows Scheduled tasks) to
shapefiles.  This has proven effective and very resiliant as our scripts
detect a failure if the ArcSDE database isn't available and leaves the
previous cached shapefile therefore the internet site doesn't do down.

I'd be interested to look at using FASTCGI with ArcSDE again but at present
don't have a business need as the above works really well.

Let me know if you still want the documentation and I'll send over...

Kind Regards
Mike