highlighting a feature in mode=map

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Wed Apr 11 09:58:14 EDT 2007

John,

I know that there are quite a few people using database backends to
MapServer.  I will let the developers comment on the extent of input
validation and protection against SQL injection.

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of John Cole
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 2:53 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] highlighting a feature in mode=map

David,
  This works quite well, but I'm wondering if this kind of query opens a
sql layer up to a sql injection attack?  Are MapServer's expressions
scrubbed for this possibility?

Thanks,

John

John,

I have done this when I want to highlight a particular county in the
state.  To do this, I need to know the ID (FIPS) for the poly.  I create
a URL variable that is passed to mapserv in the url and then use that
variable in an expression in a class in the counties layer.  If you can
successfully use GID in an expression in your map file, you can do it
this way.

Here is an example LAYER:

LAYER
    NAME basemap
    STATUS DEFAULT
    TYPE POLYGON
    DATA 'county'
    CLASSITEM "COUNTY_FIP"
	CLASS
       NAME "Low"
       EXPRESSION ('[COUNTY_FIP]' in '%group1%')
       OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
       COLOR 255 204 204
    END
END