simplify imagemap

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Fri Apr 13 11:46:27 EDT 2007

Janos,

Assuming that you are making two calls to MapServer, one for the image and one for the imagemap, I can think of two different options.  Both involve using a generalized shapefile for the imagemap layer:

1.  point your imagemap generation call to a different mapfile that uses a generalized states shapefile.

2.  in your call to your primary map file, query a layer based on a more generalized shapefile.

Even if you could run a generalization algorithm/function on-the-fly, you wouldn't want to.  They take quite a bit of time and server resources to run.  Optimize everything that you can before the user hits your app.

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of János Gonzales
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 10:35 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] simplify imagemap

Hello,

I'm using mapserver to create an image map of the US.  This image map that is created is HUGE!  For example, there are 40 points in my
imagemap for Colorado, which is a very square state.   The browsers
sometimes have trouble displaying this correctly because it is so
complicated.   Is there a way to simplify the geometry without
changing my source shapefile?

Thanks,
Janos