google earth images

Gregor Mosheh gregor at HOSTGIS.COM
Mon Apr 16 09:32:11 EDT 2007

> I am confused by why using OpenLayers is okay, but using MapServer is
> not. In both cases you are adding your own content to Google Maps
> content. With OL it is being done on the client in the browser, with
> MapServer it is being done on the server and passed t the browser. But
> the net effect seems similar. So why does Google care how you do it?

With OpenLayers, you're using Google Maps content directly (along with
other content, which has always been okay). But part of Google's terms is
that you can't "mirror" the service to another protocol. So making a map
that uses Google Maps is one OK but setting up a WMS reflector is not. You
could always dig up a copy of the Google Maps acceptable use policy and
peruse it for yourself.

I agree that it *shouldn't* matter what you do with their imagery, but
Google does care. Someone made a WMS reflector early on, and got a
ceast-n-desist almost immediately. If you care to take it up with Google,
try to talk them into allowing it to be funneled into WMS, I suspect that
it'd be a very popular proposal with a lot of people.

--
HostGIS
Cartographic development and hosting services

"Remember that no one cares if you can back up, only if you can restore."
- AMANDA