postgis cyclic performance hit

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at DUIF.NET
Fri Apr 20 02:42:33 EDT 2007

Hi Romolo,
sorry, you are right, I didn't provide very much info; Here is some extra:
My developer machine: WinXP, Microsoft IIS (!), postg*
Production: Winows Server 2003, IIS, postg* (client is running IIS, so
final configuration should use IIS...)
Running mapserver as cgi in IIS.

I've done some more experimenting no:
- running the same posgresql-layers in APACHE on same machine is ok
- running a geotiff OR shape layer in IIS is ok

So it must have to do something with the
IIS/mapserver/postgislayer-combination.

Looking at cpu-performance of memory, I do not see excess use of either
of them.
But it looks like IIS must clean up something (cache, connections I
don't know) after every 10 mapserver-cgi requests if the map contains
postgis layers???
Only for the postgis layers, all other layers are fine??

I suppose there are more people who have deployed an
mapserver/iis/postgis combi isn't it?

Richard