What's the best OUTPUTFORMAT for ECW-files using WMS

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 23 07:44:37 EDT 2007

On 4/23/07, Steven De Vriendt <gisaalter at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have about 50 ECW-files which I like
> to serve via WMS.
>
> I'm using following OUTPUTFORMAT:
>
> OUTPUTFORMAT
> NAME PNG24
>  DRIVER "GD/PNG"
> MIMETYPE "image/png"
> EXTENSION PNG
> FORMATOPTION "INTERLACE=OFF"
> IMAGEMODE RGBA
> TRANSPARENT ON
> END
>
> Image quality is good, but the performance is not what I'd like it to be.
> Can anyone help me adjusting these parameters ?
>
> thanks
> Steven

It may not be your output format that is slowing things down. I found
the ECW source format to be much slower than TIFF. I also found 8 bit
TIFFs to be faster than 24 bit TIFFs. Remember to create overviews if
you use TIFFs.

Rich

--
Richard Greenwood