MapScript: drawing points with Perl

Benoit Myard myardbenoit at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 23 12:06:10 EDT 2007

Hi list,

I'm trying to set up an application whose goal is to add Point data to
an existing map using Perl MapScript. My plan is to put all that's
static in a mapfile and to draw the points afterwards.

For now, I haven't managed to draw anything except what's in the
mapfile and I would like to know if there is anything special I should
know. For example, when you create a point, which projection is in use
?

I attached a sample script which should draw a big point over Paris
but actually doesn't.

Also, I noted that I can't "use strict;" since the MapScript Variables
(MS_ON, MS_SINGLE, ...) produce errors even when you prefix them with
'mapserver::' :

Argument "MS_ON" isn't numeric in subroutine entry at
/opt/csw/lib/perl/site_perl/mapscript.pm line 35.

Allthough there is not much documentation for the Perl-side of
MapScript, the MapScript API Reference should be sufficient. Just in
case someone is aware of some well-rounded documentation or examples
for Perl MapScript, it would be great to share with others :).

Thanks in advance.

--
Benoit Myard