world freemap agg/gd view

Jeff Hoffmann jeff at PROPERTYKEY.COM
Fri Aug 3 16:54:16 EDT 2007

Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> LayerSelector (on the upper right) allows you to select between agg and
> gd. Default is GD -- the agg is certainly... brighter. And not quite the
> look I was looking for.

This whole AGG thing is new to me -- I was wondering what using it would
actually buy me other than the sub-pixel rendering.  I was looking at
the AGG web site and I saw a mention of polygon smoothing using Bezier
curves and that seemed like it might be useful.  Some of the easily
available data (like TIGER) have pretty funky shaped lakes/coastlines
that might benefit from some smoothing once you start zooming in a ways.
  I wasn't really clear on whether that was a native part of the library
or just easy to do with AGG, but it seemed like it's something that
could be pretty easily implemented as a processing directive.  Is there
a "big picture" of what AGG will be used to do eventually (or at least
some ideas) or was it all pretty much to get a little bit better
anti-aliased output?

--
Jeff Hoffmann
Head Plate Spinner