Problems Compiling for & Using Oracle Spatial

Timothy J Nolte tnolte at ILPCS.COM
Mon Aug 6 13:54:16 EDT 2007

I've been going crazy to figure out why I'm having so many problems with
trying to setup MapServer to connect to Oracle and get some spatial data. No
matter what I've tried I'm unable to get GDAL (=>1.4.2) to configure and
compile with Oracle Spatial support. I decide to skip that and I seemingly
compiled MapServer (4.10.2) with Oracle Spacial support but whenever
MapServer tries to connect to the database it always returns invalid
username/password. In my testing it appears to be picking up the right
service from the tnsnames file and/or environment. I thought perhaps we
didn't actually have the full client installed, even though we do have a
full Oracle Enterprise database running on the same machine. Even installing
the Runtime Oracle Client things don't seem to work. This is a Solaris Sparc
64 machine. MapServer works otherwise but I really need to be able to
connect to Oracle. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?