Transparency in WMS

Tue Aug 7 08:37:59 EDT 2007

Jacolin Yves wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am using mapserver to provide a wms service. I would like to set a
> transparency value for a layer to 50. The final map provided don't use the
> right opacity for this layer. This layer is always 100% opaque.
>
> Is it possible to change the transparency for a layer using WMS?

The transparency (or opacity on 5.0) setting applies only between layers
within a given map draw, but the resulting map image is always opaque
(unless you pass TRANSPARENT=TRUE in a GetMap request, in which case
only the background color is transparent).

If you have a mapfile with multiple CONNECTIONTYPE WMS layers then
setting transparency/opacity between those layers should work.

If you are using MapServer as a WMS service and expecting the
transparency/opacity of a given layer to result in a 50% opaque GetMap
response then that won't work.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette