handling styles attached to objects

Tue Aug 14 10:52:55 EDT 2007

Sebastian Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we currently encounter a problem related to handling styles that are
> directly attached to objects. Styles are contained within the objects'
> attribute table (eg font, size, symbol....).
> Mapserver already provides some mechanisms for that related to Labels.
> At the layer level eg LABELANGLEITEM or LABELITEM can be specified
> through a column in the attribute table. However, to meet our needs this
> would have to be extended to fonts used for labelling and to the some
> parameters within the STYLE object (). Two questions on that:
> - Could someone supply a rough estimate of cost?
> - How much would performance suffer when attaching styles at feature
> level rather than at the class level?

Sebastian,

FYI in 5.0 has a new mechanism to bind some of the style and label
properties to shape attributes, there is some info about this in the 5.0
migration guide:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/release_plans/mapserver_5_0/migration_guide_410_50/

The following properties can accept bindings:

     * Style: angle, color, outlinecolor, size, symbol
     * Label: angle, color, outlinecolor, size, font, priority

With respect to performance, there is definitely a cost associated with
that, but I am not aware of any benchmarks comparing static values to
attribute binding. If you do some performance comparisons then please
share with the list.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette