customizing epsg codes

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Wed Aug 15 16:10:55 EDT 2007

Sebastian -

The WMS specification does not permit the arbitrary creation of new
namespaces for projection codes/indices.  That's why the other posters have
suggested the technique of "inventing" new EPSG codes by editing your epsg
definitions file.

The WMS 1.1.1 specification permits the use of SRS values prefixed with the
AUTO: and EPSG: namespaces only (as well as SRS=NONE).  The server you're
connecting to is violating the spec if they are inventing and publishing new
namespaces.  Under some circumstances I am as willing to bend the rules as
anyone else, but if you are going to require a non-standard behavior of your
clients that will make it very difficult for client software to use your WMS
server.

The most practical and expedient solution is for your client AND the server
to insert those same definitions into the EPSG table so you can make the
request in a manner that's compliant with the WMS specification.  Good luck!

     - Ed

--
Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker