ISP question

Hunter, David - St. Louis Park, MN David.Hunter at FNF.COM
Mon Aug 20 17:20:59 EDT 2007

I already asked, and they don't allow executables.  They don't allow DLLs if they have to be registered.  I can try and convert my app to MapScript, is it true that the DLLs just have to be copied to bin?

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Greenwood [mailto:richard.greenwood at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 4:17 PM
To: Hunter, David - St. Louis Park, MN
Cc: MAPSERVER-USERS at lists.umn.edu
Subject: Re: ISP question

On 8/20/07, Hunter, David - St. Louis Park, MN <David.Hunter at fnf.com> wrote:

> I am going to be developing a CGI - based mapserver app for a nonprofit, to
> be added to an existing web site.  Their environment is IIS and ASP, which I
> haven't used in quite a while.  Their ISP's site doesn't mention anything
> about allowing CGI programs to be installed, but the nonprofit's webmaster
> thinks they do allow it.  My question is:  how do you install mapserver in
> this type of environment.  I suppose I could have the map application
> running at another provider that already has mapserver installed, but I'd
> like to avoid the extra cost to the organization that I'm helping.  I can't
> find any "how-to" on the mapserver site regarding this, so I thought I'd ask
> here.
>

> David S. Hunter
>  Sr. Software Engineer
>  Fidelity National Geographic Solutions
>  division of Fidelity National Financial
>  5353 Gamble Drive, Suite 201
>  St. Louis Park, MN 55416
>  š Email: david.hunter at fnf.com
>  ' Phone: 952.542.1440 ext. 256
>  7 Fax: 952.542.3859

Just grab one of the pre-compiled MapServer Windows distributions e.g.
MS4W, and copy the cgi-bin to the hosted server's cgi-bin or scripts
directory. Then make a request to host/scripts/mapserv.exe and you'll
know pretty quickly if they allow CGIs. As long as the required DLLs
are in the same directory as the .exe you should have to do a lot more
than that.

HTH,
Rich

--