POLYGONS AT INTERNATIONAL DATE TIME BOUNDARY

Gregor Mosheh gregor at HOSTGIS.COM
Thu Aug 23 14:35:44 EDT 2007

Efren Serra wrote:
> I was wondering how mapserver handles polygons at the international
> date-time boundary.  Any help would be
> Appreciated.

Coincidentally, this was asked only last week, and has pertinence to a
project I'm working on. The answer is: "It doesn't." The entire date
line issue is that +179 isn't the same as -181, so either:

a) Pick a projection that does handle the date line properly.

b) Pre-mangle your data to get rid of the dateline wrap. Paste the
Aleutian Islands onto the far east, copy the eastern edge of Russia over
to the far west from Alaska, so that your data doesn't end at 180/-180

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth
System Administrator, HostGIS cartographic development & hosting services

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA