HELP PLEASE!!! Selecting multiple polygons

Fri Aug 24 18:07:57 EDT 2007

Hi Matt: What type of an application framework are you using? I mean, are
you using straight CGI, MapScript, ka-map/OpenLayers or ??? How you proceed
depends on that bit of info.

The demo you reference on the DNR site is well suited for a simple select mutliple
polygons function IF you're not doing much (or any?) panning and zooming. I've
not tried combining the imagemap with pan/zoom. It's probably possible but may
be cumbersome to implement.

A better solution is probably to use one of the DHTML mapping frameworks like
pmapper, chameleon, dbox, or one of the many others. Then you could use a bit
of AJAX to retrieve polygon info behind the scenes (and even show them graphically).
You could manage the selection set (probably just a hash of IDs) like I did with the
imagemap example and submit the ID list along with your other query information.
I can explain how this would work using dbox, but I'm not familiar enough with the
others to speak in any detail.

Steve

>>> "Matt S." <matt at CGFBROKERAGE.COM> 08/24/07 12:07 PM >>>
Hey all,
had posted this before but trying it with a different method and thought i'd
repost
What I am trying to do is this...I have a map of Saskatchewan(saskmap.map
in the attachements) that has a couple differnent layers.  What i need to be
able to do is have the user be able to select an area on the map and it zooms
in and when it zooms in then the map displays the second layer as well (this i
can do easily enough with minextent).
Then i want the user to be able to select multiple polygons (from the ruralmun
layer) and then also make a selection from a pull down menu (just a radio
select) and then submit their query...and that will bring up results on the
website from our database.
The part I am having problem is is creating a map that can have multiple
selections.
I have looked at http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv48?
map=/usr/local/www/docs_maps/eco/rsg/search/search_example.map&qlayer=
county&mode=nquery&searchmap=true and this is pretty much what I need to
do and understand that I need to create an imagemap in order to do it...just
not really sure how to tie it all together.
I have attached what I have so far which is my mapfile (saskmap.map), my
template file (test.html) as well as a header and footer file (top.html and
bottom.html respectively) but these are merely ones from the mapserver test
suite and i know they are not right just trying to figure out how to put this all
together....any help would be appreciated
thank