Performance of Scanning a Quadtree Index

Wed Aug 29 13:20:10 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I haven't dug into this, but I think MapServer pulls the features from
> the shapefile in the order they are identified traversing the spatial
> index.  This *could* mean relatively random fetching depending on the
> spatial coherence (or lack thereof) of the records in the shapefile.

Frank,

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that MapServer reads the
shapes in the shapefile order all the time. If a .qix file is present,
then an array of bits is used to tag the shape ids to load, and then the
shapes are read in order of shape id.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette