Offset a line?

Pete Deffendol pete at MDSC.COM
Wed Aug 29 16:53:20 EDT 2007

I'm trying to draw a line layer such that it is offset some amount of
pixels from its actual location.  The intent is to draw a dashed line
next to (not atop) a road.  From the documentation, it appears that
using OFFSET in the STYLE block will work, but it's not having any
affect on the output.  Here's the relevant section of my mapfile:

LAYER
STATUS       ON
  TYPE         LINE
  SIZEUNITS    PIXELS

    CLASS
      STYLE
        COLOR 255 128 0
        WIDTH 2
        OFFSET 8 -99
      END
    END
END

I'm going by some documentation at
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/cartosymbols/#construction-of-line-symbols

Am I doing something wrong here?  Or is this even possible?

I'm using Mapserver 5.0 beta 6, through PHP Mapscript.

Pete

--
Pete Deffendol
Software Engineer