MapServer/GDAL-based program thank you

Peter Wilkins pwilkins at BHINC.COM
Thu Aug 30 14:54:50 EDT 2007

Hello,

I'm writing to share with you an application I've built that was
constructed using Mapserver, GDAL, and related FOSS4G tools.

The Image Request application allows users to graphically search the
large store of aerial orthophotography at Bohannan Huston (approx. 7.5
TB), find rasters that overlap the area of interest, and request subsets
of these rasters.  You can choose various formatting options like file
type, projection, and pixel size.  Once the image has been rendered a
link is emailed to the user that allows the user to copy the image along
with associated metadata to their desktop.

The following link shows the main page followed by the image request
detail page:

http://www.bhinc.com/MapServer/MapServerImages.htm

This application uses Mapserver 4 for the rendering of shapefiles and
rasters.  It uses GDAL for clipping out requested extents as well as
translating to different formats.  It uses PostgreSQL with PostGIS for
storing the spatial information about the rasters to be searched.  The
front end was written using PHP, it runs using the Apache webserver
courtesy of the Mapserver 4 Windows package.  100% FOSS, done by a
single developer in under three months.

Many thanks to the residents of #mapserver and #gdal for all their help
and support.  I couldn't have done this without you!

Regards,

Peter Wilkins

Programmer / Analyst

pwilkins at bhinc.com