adding support for user authentication within Mapserver for GetCapablities and GetMap

Gregor Mosheh gregor at HOSTGIS.COM
Fri Aug 31 14:58:27 EDT 2007

John Mitchell wrote:
> How would I add support for user authentication within Mapserver for
> GetCapablities and GetMap?

Sean's answer is basially right: You don't. Security is the webserver's
job, and not Mapserver's. In fact, none of the OGC WxS standards
supports security; they assume that the webserver has already done such
things before calling the application.

You would have to password protect the mapserv binary or the cgi-bin
directory which houses it, not just the one app nor just those functions
or layers.

I have often wondered why the OGC standards left out such a basic
concept as access control. Mysteries of the universe.

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth
System Administrator, HostGIS cartographic development & hosting services

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA