PostGIS Layer Failing

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Sat Dec 1 23:36:31 EST 2007

William,

Thanks for the quick response.  I am using your binaries and I thought that I had the latest Postgre and PostGIS.  I obviously didn't.

Upgrading fixed the issues with both MapServer and QGIS.

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List on behalf of William Kyngesburye
Sent: Sat 12/1/2007 3:26 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] PostGIS Layer Failing

Which version of PostGIS are you using?  There is a bug in PostGIS
1.3.1 and SVN that was fixed a few days ago that affects Leopard.
PostGIS had a function with a commonly used name, and this function
was added to the Leopard libSystem.  This gets used in PostGIS instead
of its own, causing Postgres to crash.

Either install PostGIS from the latest SVN, or install my latest
PostGIS if you are using my binaries.

If that's not the problem, try looking in the console and system logs,
as well as the Apache logs.  A library problem may just appear as an
unidentified error at the PHP level, and digging into system logs may
be needed to identify the problem.

On Dec 1, 2007, at 1:52 PM, Fawcett, David wrote:

> I am testing out a new install of PostGIS and MapServer on OS X
> Leopard.  I built a map file to display a simple ten point layer
> coming from PostGIS.
>
> I get the following error:
>
> msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named
> 'basemap'. prepare_database(): Query error. Couldnt recover from a
> bad query: 'DECLARE mycursor BINARY CURSOR FOR SELECT
> asbinary(force_collection(force_2d(the_geom)),'NDR'),the_geom::text
> from ten_points_layer WHERE the_geom && setSRID('BOX3D(146545.5
> 4814000,804891.5 5472346)'::BOX3D,
> find_srid('','ten_points_layer','the_geom') )'
>
> Here is the layer definition:
> LAYER
>    NAME basemap
>    STATUS DEFAULT
>    TYPE POLYGON
>    CONNECTIONTYPE POSTGIS
>    CONNECTION "host=localhost dbname=mydb user=myuser
> password=mypass port=5432"
>    DATA "the_geom FROM ten_points_layer using unique the_geom"
>
>    CLASS
> 	   COLOR 255 255 255
>       OUTLINECOLOR 181 181 181   #An OUTLINECOLOR with no COLOR
> gives same effect as old POLYLINE
>    END
>
>    PROJECTION
>      "init=epsg:26915"
>    END
> END
>
> Any ideas?  I am also having trouble getting QGIS to display the
> layer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect