Rotate Map with Mapserv

rich.fromm nospam420 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 5 19:55:50 EST 2007

Marc Rödder wrote:

> is there currently a possibility to rotate a map via mapserv and return
> this as a jpeg? is there some kind of heading (from 0 to 360) i can give
> the server via $_GET?

from http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/mapObj

works fine for me with png, never tried jpg.

- rich

p.s. I think the second item (about mapscript) is a lie.  i think i've
gotten
it working with CGI mode.

ANGLE [double]

    Angle, given in degrees, to rotate the map. Default is 0. The rendered
map
    will rotate in a clockwise direction. The following are important notes:

        * Requires a PROJECTION object specified at the MAP level and for
each
          LAYER object (even if all layers are in the same projection).
        * Requires MapScript (SWIG, PHPMapscript). Does not work with CGI
          mode.
        * If using the LABEL object's ANGLE or the LAYER object's
          LABELANGLEITEM parameters as well, these parameters are relative
          the map's orientation (i.e. they are computed after the MAP
object's
          ANGLE). For example, if you have specified an ANGLE for the map of
          45, and then have a layer LABELANGLEITEM value of 45, the
resulting
          label will not appear rotated (because the resulting map is
rotated
          clockwise 45 degrees and the label is rotated counter-clockwise 45
          degrees).
        * More information can be found on the MapRotation Wiki Page