Google Earth

Milo van der Linden mlinden at ZEELANDNET.NL
Fri Dec 7 09:40:44 EST 2007

For wms layers to show up in Google Earth, you generate a groundoverlay.
The projection of the mapfile or layers itself is not so important, as
long as the wms service is able to publis in epsg:4326.

This means that in your map metadata you need to have something like:

METADATA
   "wms_title" "My WMS map"
   "wms_srs" "EPSG:4326 EPSG:28992"
   "wms_onlineresource"
"http://www.myserver.com/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=somemap.map"
  END

where you separate the supported projections with spaces.

When you create a GroundOverlay, Google generates the following kml snippet:

Make sure to add the STYLES= to the end of the request or mapserver will
generate a wrong result (this is for my 5.0 installation)

<GroundOverlay>
            <name>Terreincontouren</name>
            <color>adffffff</color>
            <Icon>

<href>http://www.myserver.com/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=somemap.map&amp;VERSION=1.1.1&amp;REQUEST=GetMap&amp;SRS=EPSG:4326&amp;WIDTH=1024&amp;HEIGHT=1024&amp;LAYERS=aLayer&amp;TRANSPARENT=TRUE&amp;FORMAT=image/png&amp;STYLES=&amp;</href>
                <viewRefreshMode>onStop</viewRefreshMode>
            </Icon>
            <LatLonBox>
                <north>52.43886219516767</north>
                <south>52.19180808173348</south>
                <east>5.137624941169889</east>
                <west>4.652306951338773</west>
            </LatLonBox>
        </GroundOverlay>

It is also possible to show a mapserver legend in Google Earth with the
following kml snippet:

<ScreenOverlay>
        <visibility>1</visibility>
            <name>Legenda - Percelen</name>
            <Icon>

<href>http://www.myserver.com/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=somemap.map&amp;VERSION=1.1.1&amp;REQUEST=GetLegendGraphic&amp;LAYER=aLayer&amp;Format=image/png</href>
            </Icon>
            <overlayXY x="0" y="1" xunits="fraction" yunits="fraction"/>
            <screenXY x="0" y="1" xunits="fraction" yunits="fraction"/>
            <rotationXY x="0.5" y="0.5" xunits="fraction"
yunits="fraction"/>
            <size x="-1" y="-1" xunits="pixels" yunits="pixels"/>
        </ScreenOverlay>

If you embed these snippets in a kml file, you can see what happens.

--

Milo van der Linden
skype: milovanderlinden <skype:milovanderlinden?add>

De informatie in dit bericht reflecteert mijn persoonlijke mening en
niet die van een bedrijf of instantie. Aan de informatie kunnen geen
rechten worden ontleend. Indien dit bericht onderdeel is van een forum,
mailing-list of community dan gelden automatisch de bij het betreffende
medium behorende voorwaarden. The information in this message reflects
my personal opinion and not that of a company or public body. All rights
reserved.If this message is contained in a mailing-list or community,
the rights on the medium are automatically adapted.