New to Mapserver

David H. McCoy davidhmccoy at COX.NET
Wed Dec 19 10:28:17 EST 2007

Hello!
 I'm new to Mapserver and trying to understand something. I'm working for
company that has an application with a mapping component. Currently, that
component uses Google maps. I am replacing the Google Maps API with
Openlayers and the mapping component with Mapserver. The goal is that while
a customer can elect to use say Google maps, they can also host the maps
internally, thus having no external dependencies.

In additional to server maps, does Map server actually have maps available?
Perhaps a better question would be are there any open source or freeware
apps comparable to Google maps that I can retrieve for local use and utilize in
Mapserver?

Thanks for your time.