Defining a projection for SetProjection()

David Stajan dls at INFORMGIS.COM
Wed Dec 19 14:06:55 EST 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to allow my website to change the projections of the map via a user
control.  Sounds simple enough using the SetProjection() function!

The problem that I'm having is I can't figure out the proper projection defintion
to define the projection in a PROJ.4 syntax  For example I have this projection
defined by a ESRI prj file:

PROJCS["AGD_1966_AMG_Zone_55",
	GEOGCS["GCS_Australian_1966",
		DATUM["D_Australian_1966",
			SPHEROID["Australian",6378160,298.25]],
		PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
		UNIT["Degree",0.017453292519943295]],
	PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],
	PARAMETER["False_Easting",500000],
	PARAMETER["False_Northing",10000000],
	PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",147],
	PARAMETER["Scale_Factor",0.9996],
	PARAMETER["Latitude_Of_Origin",0],
	UNIT["Meter",1]]

My best attempt to define this using the proj.4 syntax is:

PROJECTION
"proj=utm"
"zone=55"
"units=m"