Zoom to location by name or other parameter using cgi mapserv

Ben Madin ben at REMOTEINFORMATION.COM.AU
Fri Dec 21 08:18:08 EST 2007

Thanks for your help Richard, I think I am closer, but I haven't got
it yet to the point I can write it up!

After struggling to work out the validation thing, I can run the
script, but as soon as I use mode=itemquery I return a list of
locations, and a querymap, beautifully shrunk down to show only the
polygon I am interested in.

However, I was hoping to be able to use this function in the main
window - as an example say I was looking for roadside stops by name,
it could then "zoom" me to the one I wanted, and I could continue
panning or zooming.

http://remote.local/cgi-bin/mapserv?
layer=coastline&layer=roads&layer=location
&layer=stops&mode=itemquery&qlayer=stops&qstring=gid=342
&map=%2FLibrary%2FWebServer%2FDocuments%2Froads%
2Froads.map&mapext=shapes&iw=650&ih=550

but if I use mode=browse, I just get my normal interface, with a
quarter of Australia to zoom in from!

I'm guessing the better option may just be to make the select list
with the extents of each object, queried from the database, so when
the form is submitted that is the mapext value.

cheers

Ben

--

Ben Madin