match gps data to tiger/line

Thu Feb 1 20:39:22 EST 2007

Kurt Kuo wrote:
> Hi list,
> I have some vehicle position data and would like to link them together
> in order to draw it trajectory. However, the trajectory segments do not
> match tiger/line so well. Some of them offset pretty much. Is there a
> way to make gps position data and the trajectory segments match
> tiger/line better. Thanks in advance.
>
> Kurt

That is just the data! Tiger is getting much better as the realign the
data, so if you are not on a current version, I would suggest you update
to the newer data.

You will find some data is aligned very well and some is not. If you are
on Hawaii, that is in some local island projection and and tracks on
east coastal roads will fall about 1500 east in the ocean :-0

The Census is realigning about 300-400 counties every 6 months and the
data is very accurate in these counties, although I have found some
strange roads that don't exist on the ground, because they were picked
off of satellite imagery.

-Steve W.