font scaling - labels too small

Kai Behncke kbehncke at IGF.UNI-OSNABRUECK.DE
Sat Feb 3 08:19:27 EST 2007

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 08:45:40 -0600, Peter wrote
> I have a need for fonts on my map to scale based on the map size/resolution.
>  The reason for this need is that I produce maps at 72dpi for
> viewing on a computer screen and I also produce them at 288dpi for
> printing and when they are produced at 288dpi, the labels are so
> small they are virtually unreadable.  I see that "font scaling" is
> implemented for TrueType fonts, however, I am unable to find any
> documentation to help me understand if this provides the
> functionality I need.  If anyone can point me in the right direction
> regarding the font scaling functionality or what my options are for
> accomplishing this, that would be great.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
Hello Peter,
If you have a map with 72 dpi (originally) and you produce one with 288
dpi for printing you need to multiply all the SIZE-Values with 4 (also for the
labels), and then they should have the right value.

Best Regards, Kai
--
Dipl.-Geogr. Dipl.-Umweltwiss. Kai Behncke

Institut für Geoinformatik und Fernerkundung (IGF)
Universität Osnabrück
Kolpingstr. 7
49074 Osnabrück

Raum: 01/308