shpree error while loading shared libraries

P Kishor punkish at EIDESIS.ORG
Mon Feb 5 14:19:53 EST 2007

My software maker friend tells me that he has the following in the Makefile --

# ESRI SDE Support. You MUST have the SDE Client libraries and include files
# on your system someplace. The actual SDE server you wish to connect to can
# be elsewhere.
SDE=      -DUSE_SDE
SDERASTER=
SDE_LIB=  -L/usr/local/arcsde/sdeexe83/lib -lsde83 -lpe83 -lsg83 -lpthread -ldl
SDE_INC=  -I/usr/local/arcsde/sdeexe83/include

All this seems to be in place. The question is, why cannot shptree
find libsde83.so?  It lives here:
/usr/local/arcsde/sdeexe83/lib/libsde93.so Where it would be expected?