Restricting size of image/raster for WMS and WCS request not working

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Feb 7 22:11:56 EST 2007

Vincent J. Troisi wrote:
> our MapServer installation seems to be ignoring these attributes for
> both WMS and WCS requests.
> These values are set in the METADATA section for the map file, as in the
> following example:
>
> ows_maxwidth "2000" # maximum possible width request, in pixels
> ows_maxheight "2000" # maximum possible height request, in pixels
>
> The upshot of this is we will not be able to limit the size of the raster
> requested through the mapserver. Any thoughts why we might be
> experiencing this problem? The mapserver configuration is
>
> MapServer version 4.6.0 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
> OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
> SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT
> SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR
> INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

Vincent,

I just grepped the mapserver source tree, and I don't see anything about
an ows_maxwidth.  The only maxwidth I see is related to styles.

I do see a maxsize parameter you can put in your Map object, and it seems
to be enforced in mapwms.c, though I don't see any sign of it in the
wcs code.

PS. 4.6.0 is pretty old now.  If you find maxsize doesn't apply to WCS
you might want to file a bug on it, but it would be best to test it with
4.10.0 at least first.

Best regards,