WFS for advanced queries ?

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Fri Feb 16 11:19:43 EST 2007

Ah, ok.  For that kind of scenario (and I want to find :"The Road with name X which Cities crosses ?"), you could:

- query a roads WFS to get geometry
- pass these geometries to a WFS Intersect filter to seek

..Tom

________________________________

	From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of korakas koarkis
	Sent: 16 February, 2007 9:45 AM
	To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
	Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] WFS for advanced queries ?

	To setup database views is an option BUT has several limitations:
	1) I must know in advance the queries that the user will issue
	2) I dont know what happens with db perfomance: Consider that there will be a great volume of data in terms of tables and content of the tables.

	My goal is to act as a content provider with an API for visualazation and querying.
	I consider OGC through WMS and WFS but if understood correctly WFS cannot fullfill my needs... (right??)

	For example lets say that I have two tables Cities and Roads
	and I want to find :"The Road with name X which Cities crosses ?"

	and then HighLight these cities!

	This query can be supported in MapServer ?

	"Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS)" <bartvde at OSGIS.NL> έγραψε:

		WFS won't allow you currently to do advanced queries.

		If your queries are known beforehand, you can setup database views and use
		those views as a typename in WFS.

		If that's not possible, you need a more direct way of controlling your
		queries, Mapscript could be an option then (setting the DATA statement
		dynamically on a LAYER).

		Best regards,
		Bart

		--