How to load Raster Data in PostGIS

KS kmsaif at YAHOO.COM
Sat Feb 17 14:44:48 EST 2007

Hi,

I am trying to load raster data into PostGIS and then wants to render it in
web browser through mapserver. The porblem is, how to store raster data in
PostGIS/Postgres SQL. There are multiple ideas I am working on right now

1. Can we store actually raster data direcly in PostgreSQL or PostGIS or we
should strore it in outside of PostGIS and have some sort of reference to
PostGIS with other data.
2. Can we actually use PGCHIP GDAL driver (new implementation of raster in
PostGIS). For reference please visit,  http://simon.benjamin.free.fr/pgchip/ ?
3. Can we use PGRaster SQL Interface to store raster data
(http://postgis.com/support/wiki/index.php?PgRasterSqlInterface). I tried to
do it but it did not work. So just wondering if somebody has actually used it to
store raster data. If so, then how?

If somebody has used some solution to store raster data in PostGIS, please let
me know. If this is not possible at all, then may suggest some alternative.
Here I want to mention that I have data in the form of ESRI shapefiles (mostly
vector format). I tried to use gdal_rasterize but it gave me error that "The
procedure entry point OGRCleanupALL could not be located in the dynamic link
library gdal13.dll". I tried to fix it and tried to re-install GDAL as well but I got
same message.

Regards,