changing colors in tiles without re-rendering?

Ravi ravikapoor101 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 3 16:32:38 EST 2007

Thanks for the reply Steve. The problem is little more complicated than
just identifying an appropriate image editor.

After the tiles are made, imagemagic has no way to co-relate a block
group with tile name. Also if two adjacent block groups are of same
color, imagemagic would not know how to change one of them.

The solution, if at all possible, has to be something like this:
1. Render the shape files into image files for each block group. The
area outside block group should be transparent in such images.
2. A program that when supplied with block group number and color finds
appropriate image and colors it accordingly.
3. A program that takes all the images and generates square image tiles.

Only in this case I can avoid parsing/reading the shapefile over and
over again. I wonder if anybody has done anything remotely similar to
this or if anybody can think of a better way to do this.

Ravi