existing raster mosaic and you try to add an image using gdalwarp will apache have to restarted

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Sun Jan 7 17:25:43 EST 2007

John Mitchell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you have an existing raster mosaic and you try to add an image using
> gdalwarp and then run gdaladdo to rebuild the internal overviews, then
> do these operations affect the display of this raster mosaic within
> mapserver while they are running and after these operations complete
> will any future requests for this mosaic include this newly added image
> with its newly revised overlays or would apache have to be restarted?
>
> Also I have the same question for rerunning gdaltindex against an
> existing .shp file ( i.e. gdaltindex doq_index.shp doq/*.tif ) in order
> to add a new image will this operation affect ongoing displays against
> this shapefile within mapserver while they are running and after this
> operation completes will any future requests for this .shp include this
> newly added image or would apache have to be restarted?

John,

As Ed mentioned, MapServer is normally stateless so there is no action
needed to make mapserver start using the updates.  However, there is some
danger that operations like gdaltindex or gdalwarp could put the datasets
in an inconsistent state while they are running.  Doing these operations
on "live data" is somewhat risky though to be honest in-place updates of
TIFF files, and shapefiles are unlikely to trigger any problems.

Best regards,