postgis connection problem.

Dave Potts dave.potts at PINAN.CO.UK
Wed Jan 10 19:29:32 EST 2007

I am trying to connect to postgres database on my local machine

The connect strings reads

CONNECTION "dbname=castle user=dave password=foobar host=localhost
port=5432"

This gives an msPOSTGISLAyerOpen(): Query error, the reported error is
"unknown hostname: localhost"

Doing a nslookup on localhost gives the expected answer off 127.0.0.1

Using the value 127.0.0.1 instead of the string localhost, gives the
same error, but reporting the error unknown host name 127.0.0.1

A telnet session to localhost 5432 connects , therefore the database is
running on localhost,  I am not having any problems resolving names.

A psql session to the database castle with the login dave and the
password foobar works correctly

SO why the error, any suggestions ?

Dave.