Chopping a map with a grid.

David William Bitner david.bitner at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 26 10:34:35 EST 2007

I am not sure of any mapscript approaches for this type of problem.  I
currently do this to create a grid that shows how many flights cross a given
grid cell in my application at http://maps.macnoise.com/interactive/ (select
flight tracks grid from the layer list) using postgis.

The general approach that I have is to either use a pre-built grid or a
plpgsql function that builds the grid on the fly and to create a layer in
mapserver that does an on the fly intersection between the two with a data
statement similar to this:

DATA "the_geom from (select count(f.id) as count, g.geom as the_geom from
grid as g,flighttracks as f where g.geom && f.geom and crosses(g.geom,f.geom))
using unique the_geom using srid=-1"

David

--
David William Bitner