Hide and show city labels depending on population

Rodrigo Martín LÓPEZ GREGORIO rodrigomlg at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 10 08:32:29 EDT 2007

Hi Milo.

I think your problem is that you have no defined the MAXSCALE of the medium
cities. This parameter tell mapserver at wich scale will stop drawing the
elements of a layer (MINSCALE is how far in (MAXSCALE how far out) will be
drawed the elements).

So, i think if you add a MAXSCALE to the medium cities CLASS your problem
will be solved:

LABELITEM 'City'
    CLASSITEM 'City_Population'
    CLASS
      MAXSCALE 80000
      NAME '0 < City_Population < 100000'
      EXPRESSION ( ([City_Population] >= 0) AND ([City_Population] <=
100000) )
      STYLE
        SYMBOL 'CIRCLE'
        SIZE 3
          OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
          COLOR 255 170 0
        END
     LABEL
      TYPE TRUETYPE
      FONT Arial
      SIZE 8
      COLOR 255 255 250
      #OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 255
      ANTIALIAS TRUE
      MINFEATURESIZE 500
      ANGLE 0
      FORCE false
     END
    END
    CLASS
      NAME '100001 < City_Population < 500000'
      EXPRESSION ( ([City_Population] >= 100001) AND ([City_Population] <=
500000) )
      STYLE
        SYMBOL 'CIRCLE'
        SIZE 4
          OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
          COLOR 255 170 0
        END
     LABEL
      TYPE TRUETYPE
      FONT Arial
      SIZE 10
      COLOR 255 255 250
      #OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 255
      ANTIALIAS TRUE
      MINFEATURESIZE 500
      ANGLE 0
      FORCE false
     END
    END

The MAXSCALE value will depend on your map.

I hope it works.

Rodrigo.