Compiling with OGR version supporting SQL server connection

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Jul 11 16:10:44 EDT 2007

Thomas Rokkjaer wrote:
> I have followed the guidelines for setting up a virtual spatial data connection
> at
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/vector_data/VirtualSpatialData,
> installed FWTools 1.3.4, tested the connection via ogrinfo successfully, tested
> the mapfile (specific layer attached) with the shp2img tool successfully, but I
> am having problems with displaying this newly generated layer in my map
> window.
> At http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/ogrmysql I found a how-to for
> OGR connection to MySQL, where it is stated the following
> prerequisite "MapServer compiled with OGR version supporting this
> functinality". How is it possible to compile my current MapServer to support
> OGR for SQL server or should it already work with the current settings?

Thomas,

You are configured to use the OGR ODBC driver, which should be available
in any GDAL/OGR windows build.  So there is nothing special required.  The
MySQL case is accessing MySQL directly rather than through ODBC.

If shp2img is working, I'd suggest you carefully review permissions for
use of the ODBC DSN for whatever user your web server is running as.

> 	STYLEITEM "AUTO"

BTW, I don't believe that STYLEITEM "AUTO" is going to do anything
for ODBC/VRT datasources.  It mostly is useful for mapinfo, and dgn
file formats.

Best regards,