dataset extents from MapServer CGI

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Jul 19 15:20:39 EDT 2007

Jan Hartmann wrote:
> I second that question. If not, could it be implemented? Very useful
> feature
>
> Jan
>
> Bob Basques wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Is there any way to get a dataset extents from MapServer CGI directly
>> (no Mapscript)?

Jan / Bob,

How would you see this working?  Would it be a request made against a
particular layer?  Against the map as a whole?  Internally in the code we
have:

int msLayerGetExtent(layerObj *layer, rectObj *extent)

which calls the data source specific GetExtent function.  But I don't think
this works for raster layers.  There is also msOWSGetLayerExtent() which
first consults the layer metadata for extents.  Perhaps this would be the
logical place to look?

Well, I suppose the other side of this is that for WMS and WCS the layer
and coverage descriptions include extents already.  Is that sufficient for
your needs?

Best regards,