dataset extents from MapServer CGI

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at UVA.NL
Thu Jul 19 16:55:59 EDT 2007

Frank,

For my part, I would at least like to be able to get the map extent, but
I don't think implementing an extent query for separate layers would be
much more difficult to program. You are right that WMS and WCS will give
back the extent via a GetCapabilities request, but that is exactly the
thing that I would like to do with native MapServer. I just want to be
able, before I request the actual map, to get its extents via a separate
call. AFAICS the problem is not so much implementing this functionality
(it's already there for WMS and friends), but to agree how to send back
the results (XML, GeoJSON, etc)

Jan