[Fwd: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Mapserver sites with public map data in the US/Canada]

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at UVA.NL
Wed Jul 25 07:29:25 EDT 2007

Folks,

Ed McNierny, who of course is a prime example of a small firm doing big
things with MapServer, sent me the following note. Can anyone from
Canada give me any pointers to this policy change in Canada regarding
royalties and licences op topographic maps? It's probably very important
for our discussions over here in Europe

Jan

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Mapserver sites with public map data
in the US/Canada
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:30:10 -0400
From: Ed McNierney <ed at topozone.com>
To: Jan Hartmann <j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl>

Jan -

Just for completeness, I should explain that TopoZone uses three major data
sets - topographic maps, aerial photos, and street maps - that are all
produced by the U. S. Federal government as public domain data.  We have
long been interested in providing a similar topographic mapping service for
Canada; as the Canadian government has recently changed its
royalty/licensing policy for topographic maps, it is finally (8 years later)
possible for us to do that.

      - Ed

Ed McNierney
TopoZone.com