MapInfo and UTF-8

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Jul 25 09:30:50 EDT 2007

Milo van der Linden wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have some problem with my Mapserver WFS server. In the mapfile there
> is a MapInfo tab that has special characters like ú and ç. MapInfo tabs
> are encoded in WindowsLatin1.
>
> I have set wfs_encoding is UTF-8 in the Map section of the Map File and
> encoding = ISO-8859-1 for the MapInfo tab.
>
> the GML output says <xml encoding=utf-8> like it should, but the
> attributes returned for this particular MapInfo table are meshed up
> because the special characters are not outputted correct.
>
> Is there a check in MapServer WFS that tries to match the tables
> encoding with the required GML encoding and converts characters where
> needed?

Milo,

I'm not too sure whether MapServer tries to do character encoding changes.
I gather it may in some circumstances.  But OGR does not currently have
any concept of the character set of a datasource.  So OGR is certainly not
able to indicate to mapserver what the input encoding is which I would guess
means that no correct transliteration can be done.

Best regards,