ANGLE FOLLOW

Wed Jul 25 10:17:50 EDT 2007

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am trying to use ANGLE FOLLOW in Mapserver 4.10.2 but I can't get the
> labels to have an offset, they are always right in the line segment (i.e.
> the center of the label is the line segment).
>
> Is this possible, and if so does anybody have an example to share? Thanks.

This was never implemented and it is non-trivial (and expensive) to
compute the offset curve that would be need to place the character on.
The offset would have to deal with adding and removing line segments in
the offset. Think about this line:

       ----
       \  /

The notch would need to be removed if you offset on the lowest side of
the line otherwise you would create self intersection that would be bad
for labeling. Variants on this are not uncommon.

-Steve W