How to Fix Ratty Line Rendering in WMS?

Gregor Mosheh gregor at HOSTGIS.COM
Thu Jul 26 16:03:33 EDT 2007

Bill Thoen wrote:
> But now my problem is that linework from my WMS looks pretty ratty
> compared to using the same data in vector form. Is there any fix for
> this? How can I produce smooth road lines?

Are you using transparency? I find that antialiasing and transparency
just don't work well together; the antialiasing gets turned transparent,
which makes it look awful. I'd love to hear advice on this topic, as I
have similar issues with fonts and symbols looking crummy under
transparency.

If it's not transparency, how about your image format? Are you using
JPEG? JPEG is nice stuff, but you've probably seen JPEGs that get all
crummy if someone tried to compress too hard. Try setting the
OUTPUTFORMAT options to turn up the JPEG quality to 100.

Anything beyond that, we'd probably need to know a thing or two about
your image format, maybe see an example of it, ...

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth
System Administrator, HostGIS cartographic development & hosting services

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA